Pages

Instagram

Monday, September 3, 2012

Wild rice with Sauteed Vegetables




I first had wild rice about 6months ago at my local thai restuarant. I remember ordering a curry wth brown rice and when the waiter appeared with the meal it was a 'funny' coloured rice - well not like the brown rice I'm used to - so I asked and was told it's wildrice.

Per wiki - 'Wild rice is four species of grasses forming the genus Zizania, and the grain which can be harvested from them. The grain was historically gathered and eaten in both North America and China'

Wildrice is actually not rice but grass - oh i do like the sound of wildgrass :) . Long story short I decided to try this very special grass rice. I got the blend of wildrice and brown rice just to be safe

Quick nutrition facts

  • high in protein & amino acid lysin*
  • high in fiber
  • low in fat
  • great for wealthloss - (although high in carbs, it contains only 83 cals for 1/2 cup v 108 for brown )

*per wiki - L-Lysine plays a major role in calcium absorption, building muscle protein; recovering from surgery or sports injuries; and the body's production of hormones, enzymes and antibodies






Preparation

Ingredients

Wild rice - 1 cup
Oil - 1-2tbs (i used a blend of virgin coconut and olive oil)
Spring onions - 1 stalk
Onions - 1/2 bulb
Carrot - 1 med-lrg carrot
Celery - I stalk
Pepper(optional) - any hot chilli will do - I used 2 scotch bonnets ; be careful this is very hot; you may opt for bell peppers
Seasoning to taste ( I used thyme, curry, sea salt, knorr cubes)
Vinegar - about 1tb (optional) ( i used rice wine vinegar)
Freshly pressed apple juice - say 1tb (optional - may opt for lemon/orange/water or cook without )

Steps
Cook rice according to packaging instructions
Heat pan and add 1-2tbs of oil - the less oil the more water or juices you'll need - ( I'm trying to reduce my oil intake - and cook with more juices,stock, water, vinegar and soy sauce)
Add onions and spring onions
Saute for 2mins
Add veggies
Add vinegar and chosen juice (you can also add the juice at the end as well - to truly bring out the flavour)
Cook for another 2-3mins
Add rice - stir/mix well into the veg/sauce - let cook for  3-5mins - and VOILA you're done

Serve as a side or main dish



Please feel free to leave me a comment - I would love to hear from you 


x 

Jo






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...