Pages

Instagram

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Plantain and Kale salad

I absolutely love plantains - these days I eat it grilled or boiled and usually with a side of greens, chicken, fish etc . Today I thought ; hmm how about I boil it , dice it up and spread it on my favourite leafy green veg - KALE.....HA! I must say it was indeed gorgeous to look at - I almost did not want to eat it :) . After my 1hr working the morning I knew just the salad won't do me - so I ate it with a side of beans. DELISH! I love beans.

Salad Ingredients
Kale
Plantain
Radish
Grape tomatoes

Dressing - I didn't use any but you can opt for an extra virgin oil , apple cider vinegar and maybe some salt, ground pepper

Beans 
Brown beans  (1.5 cup)- (may opt for any beans really- red, black eye, pinto etc)
Tomatoes (1-2 med size plum tomatoes)
Scotch bonnet  (1) ( habaneros, chills etc will do)
Onions (half a medium sized bulb)
Extra virgin olive oil ( 1-2 tablespoons)- may use grapeseed oil
Seasoning ( I kept it simple and used knorr cubes) and a bit of sea salt

There's hardly any salad prep to document, for the beans ;

1) Boil beans till tender - usually about an hour - you can use a slow cooker or soak the beans overnight
2)Blend tomatoes, onions, pepper
2) Slice half a bulb of medium size onions
3) Heat up your preferred oil ( if you do use Extra virgin oil, you want to make sure you saute at med heat)
4) Add onions and saute for few mins
5) Add the tomato blend
6) Cook for 10mins -15mins
7) Add boiled beans and steamcook for another 5-7mins

*note the recipe uses rough measurements - so please do adjust as required







Please feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you 



x
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...