Pages

Instagram

Monday, September 3, 2012

Sauteed Chickpeas


Per wiki : Chickpea is a legume of the family Fabaceae, subfamily Faboideae. Its seeds are high in protein. It is one of the earliest cultivated legume - origin is Middle east. It is also know as garbanzo bean.

I've never been a big fan of chick-peas - this is one meal I'd gladly walk past at a gathering. To be honest my only experience has been the Indian curry version . When my friend J came to visit last month she re-introduced me to it - she cooked it with potatoes and tomatoes and it was so yummy.
I've been reading up a lot on the nutritional value of chick peas and I must say it is definitely going to be in our weekly diets - I'll for sure be incorporating in my salads and stews.

My favourite form of cooking is saute so whenever I try something new I also opt for saute. This time I choose Extra Virgin Coconut oil instead of Olive oil and I used Apple Cider Vinegar and a bit of fresh apple juice to enhance the flavor.  I must say I've always been wary of cooking with coconut oil as it is high in saturated facts - but in turn it is excellent for digestion and helps support  healthy wealth loss ,according the the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Should you wish to try it be sure to get the Extra Virgin kind as this is free of trans fat. Use sparingly -say 1-2 tablespoons.

Quick Nutrition facts 

Chick peas are

  • High in protein
  • great source  of zinc and folate
  • high in fiber thus improves digestion
  • contains the good fats - i.e. unsaturated








Ingredients
Extra Virgin Coconut oil
Chick peas - (i used the Turkish organic kind)
Spring onions
Onions
Vegetables ( I used celery and carrots)
Apple cider vinegar (optional)
Fresh apple juice (optional)
Thyme -  say 1 tsp
Curry  -  say 1tsp
Sea salt  - (to taste)
Stock cubes (optional)

Preparation
Soak chickpeas overnight to shorten cooking time. I didn't so I boiled it for maybe 45mins-1hr  :(
Cut/Slice up your chosen veggies
Heat cooking pan and add up to 1tb spoon of virgin coconut oil
Add sliced onions and spring onions
Saute for a few mins then add remaining veggies
Add 2-3 capfuls of Apple cider vinegar (or to taste)
Add 1-2 tablespoons of fresh apple juice
Add your chosen seasonings, stir and let cook for 1-2mins
Add chick peas - stick and cook for another say 5mins

Serve as a side or main dish

For more info on Chick peas  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickpea
                                                http://www.livestrong.com/article/371012-chick-peas-nutrition-information/





Please feel free to leave me a comment - I would love to hear from you 


x

Jo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...