Pages

Instagram

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sauteed Okra, Collard Greens and Garlic chicken



“A man knows he has found his vocation when he stops thinking about how to live, and begins to live. -Thomas Merton





Okra! Okra! Okra! I grew up eating lots of Okra. Infact it was one of my favourite meals. Okra and Tomato stew was all my mum had to cook for me to be a good lil lass :).
Since I moved across the pond I've never been keen to eat it- Mum made it just right and no one else could replicate. 
Anyhoo, surprisingly whilst shopping last week I came across the good ole Okra and thought hmm I wonder if I could just saute it with leafy greens, herbs and spices instead of boil like Mum did ...well that thought became an action - 2days after my purchased I sauteed with collard greens and threw in some garlic/ginger chicken slices

Ingredients
Okra
Collard greens
Onions
Broth
Salt
Pepper
Olive or Coconut oil

Chicken
Garlic 
Ginger
Onions
Soy sauce (may substitute with broth, lemon juice)
Salt & pepper


Directions
1) Chop all your ingredients - onions, collard, okra
2) heat skillet, add 1tb of oil, onions, 1 crushed garlic cloves ;saute for a few mins 
3) Add broth - say 1/4cup
4) Add collard greens - (note if you choose to blanch before saute then you may reduce the broth quantity - or not use broth at all - in this case add a lil water
5) Add seasoning - salt, pepper etc
6) Cook for say 8mins 
7) Add chicken*and let it simmer for couple more mins

*Chicken
You may choose to grill or panfry - I panfried using the listed ngredients.; following the steps  below

1) heat skillet, add 1-2tb of olive/coconut oil 
2)add chopped onions , ginger and crushed garlic  
2) add chicken cuts, soy sauce, salt, pepper and cook till done


Loved the dish so much I cooked it again the next day - this time adding thai chili for heat











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...